AARP Tax-Aide is the nation’s largest free, volunteer-run tax assistance and preparation service. It is available to taxpayers with low and moderate incomes and gives special attention to people age 60 and older.
The program has grown tremendously since it started in 1968 with four volunteers. Approximately 34,600 AARP Tax-Aide volunteers, trained in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service, now help more than 2.6 million taxpayers file their federal, state, and local tax returns each year. The AARP Tax-Aide program is offered at approximately 6,500 locations nationwide in senior centers, libraries, community centers, and at other convenient locations.
Tax-Aide volunteers are trained to assist with filing the 1040 Form and the more standard of the schedules, including Schedules A and B. Taxpayers with complex tax returns are advised to seek paid tax assistance. Electronic filing (e-filing) is offered at most sites, with no charge to the taxpayer. E-filing ensures more accurate tax returns and faster processing of tax refunds.
Tax-Aide will be available at the Haddon Heights Library every Monday, February 6 – April 17, except for February 20 (President’s Day). The program will run from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. To find another site near you, please visit www.aarp.org/taxaide or call 1-888-227-7669. When you come to the library for tax-aide, please bring the following with you:
- current year’s tax forms and preparation booklet
- copy of last year’s income tax returns
- W-2 forms from each employer
- unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- all 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets
- 1099-misc. showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- all forms indicating federal income tax paid
- dependent care provider information (name, employer, ID, Social Security number)
- all receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents